Create Local LDAP Server in Eclipse with Apache Directory Studio
By Arvind Rai,
March 26, 2014
To learn LDAP and integrate with our sample program, we need a local LDAP server. So here we will see how to create local ldap server. Apache Directory Studio is a complete tool that provides ApacheDS server, LDAP browser, LDIF editor etc. Apache Directory Studio can be installed in eclipse and we will be able to get complete feature. ApacheDS is a LDAP server which we will integrate in eclipse and then it can start and stop from eclipse editor itself. We will create our local setup in eclipse step by step.
1. Go to eclipse Help->Install New Software
2. Use URL http://directory.apache.org/studio/update/2.x
3. Select all and click on next.
4. Accept the license and click on finish. At last you will be asked to restart the eclipse.
5. To check if you have successfully installed the tool, go to eclipse menu and check for Window->Show View->Other and You will be able to see LDAP Browser and LDAP Servers
6. Click on LDAP Browser and LDAP Server. You will get the view as below.
In LDAP Browser, you will be able to see Root DSE directory.
7. Right click on LDAP Server View. Go To New->New Server. You will see the below screen.
Write the server name and select ApacheDS 2.0.0 and click finish button.
In this way you will be able to see ApacheDS 2.0.0 in LDAP Server View .
8. To start server, right click on server and select run as below.
9. Now we need to create connection. Right click on server and click on Create a Connection
. And connection is created. Make sure server must be started. Connection will be another tab as below.
10. The default port of LDAP installation is 10389 but we can change it. To change it double click on server and you will get below screen.
Change the port as you want.
11. In this way Local LDAP server is installed. The URL format with default port will be like ldap://127.0.0.1:10389/